Things that should be regular: cheese boards, calling your Mum, games nights with friends and… your bowel movements.
If you’re feeling like things need to be improved on the bowel front – you might need more fibre (find out here). And if you need more fibre, this is article is for you.
Here are five easy ways you can up your fibre intake and get those bowels movin'.
- Load up on fruits and veggies: Nature's fibre superheroes are found in abundance in fruits and vegetables. Apples, berries, oranges, broccoli, spinach, and carrots are just a few examples of fab, fibre-rich options. Snack on fresh fruits, add veggies to your meals, and explore new recipes that incorporate these nutritious goodies.
- Embrace whole grains: Swap refined grains like white bread and pasta for their whole grain counterparts. Whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat bread, and oatmeal are packed with fibre. Not only do they make a great base to build a meal, but they’ll also keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Legumes to the rescue: Beans, lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes are fantastic sources of, you guessed it, fibre. They're versatile, affordable, and can be added to soups, stews, salads, or even used as a base for delicious dips like hummus.
- Go nuts for nuts and seeds: Almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and sunflower seeds are all fab, fibre-full friends. Sprinkle them over your cereal, yogurt, or salads for a crunchy fiber boost. Best enjoyed in moderation!
- Look for fibre-rich snacks: Instead of reaching for processed snacks, opt for fibre-rich alternatives. Hmmm, if only there was a fun, cool, hilarious food brand that sent you cute emails and sold delicious snacks… hmmmm….
Note: it's always a good idea to gradually increase your fibre intake and, as always, listen to your body. Too much fibre too quickly can lead to bloating or gas, so take it easy and allow your body to adjust.
By incorporating these fibre-rich foods into your diet, you'll be well on your way to enjoying more energy, a healthier gut and uh, better bowels! Your bod will thank you.