Light, bouncy, moist and zesty. Easy to make, easier to eat (trust us). Serve solo with some greek yoghurt, or if you’re feeling fancy, add lemon curd and swiss meringue buttercream (recipes here and here!).
Here’s how to get this perfect, Mediterranean-style delicious beauty in your life.
- 1 cup of olive oil (we recommend a mild-flavoured olive oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (keep a bit aside to sprinkle on top)
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Zest from 3 lemons
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- Optional: powdered sugar for dusting
Got the goods? Great. Let’s bake, baby.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare a 9" springform pan by greasing the bottom and the sides well, and lining the bottom with a circle of baking paper. Then, wrap the outside of your pan with foil to prevent any leaks.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together your olive oil, eggs, and sugar.
- Next, add your vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice, and gently whisk to combine.
- Sift together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in a couple of batches, alternating with the milk. (Try not to over-mix here, you just want to combine everything so that no streaks of dry flour remain).
- Then, pour the batter into your lined springform pan! Sprinkle some of your granulated sugar evenly over the top before she goes in.
Bake for 50-55 minutes. The cake should be risen and starting to turn a bit golden brown on the top.
Note: ovens vary greatly, so you you might need more or less time. If it seems to be getting too brown towards the end, lay a piece of foil over the top to help it cook through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan. Then gently remove the cake from the springform pan and allow to cool completely on a baking rack.
- When cool, dust the top with powdered sugar, if desired.
Yum! Make it? Tag us at @eat___dailyfood, we wanna see!