There’s a lot to love about this salad. Full of fun, fresh veggies with a zingy Mexican twist – you get ten plant foods in one (you’re welcome, gut microbes), ferments and a good dose of protein and fibre. And, it’s so easy. Serve as a side salad, but know that it probably deserves the spotlight.
- 1/4 cabbage
- 1 capsicum, diced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 can of butter beans
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4 cup sauerkraut
- Optional: 1-2 small chilis, if you want to add a little spice
And for the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- S&P to taste
- Prep your veg! Thinly slice your cabbage, dice your capsicum and avocado, halve the cherry tomatoes and finely chop the red onion. And, if you like a bitta spice in your life, finely slice your chillies. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain the butter beans thoroughly, then add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add in all your other ingredients, saving the avo ‘til last so it doesn’t get too mashed up as you mix.
- In a small bowl or jar, prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasoning to your taste preferences.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients in the bowl, and toss your ingredients to combine.
That’s it! Easy to make, delicious to eat and your body will be thank you.