This recipe makes 9-15 cookies depending on size. Hint: you should probably double the recipe for a big batch! Gluten-free + dairy free + vegan variations below:
- 1.5 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2-4tsp of Spice Mix ( dial the spices up or down depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Pinch ground pepper
To decorate — lemon icing:
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Lemon zest
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 2.5tsp)
Or just want plain icing? — sub the lemon out for plant milk or water.
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Mix the flour, baking powder, spice mix & salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix melted butter, egg, honey and coconut sugar in a separate bowl.
- Pour the liquid mixture into dry mix and mix until smooth dough is formed.
- Roll into a ball, wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for 30-60mins
- On a flour-dusted surface, use a rolling pin to roll dough out until a few mm thick
- Cut shapes with a cookie cutter, place on a lined or greased baking tray and bake for 8-12mins (until just golden)
- Cookies will firm as they cool, so leave to cool on baking tray until they harden.
- To make the icing, in a bowl, combine the icing sugar, lemon zest juice. Whisk until thoroughly blended. Transfer the icing into a piping bag or small Ziploc bag, squeeze out any excess air and seal the bag.
Gluten and grain-free
Substitute spelt flour with almond meal plus 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder.
Alternatively replace the spelt with your favourite gluten-free or paleo flour + however, final result may be a bit more crumbly.
Dairy-free and vegan
Sub the egg for a non-dairy milk and replace the butter with coconut oil (biscuit won’t be as chewy once cooled)